Blue Corn Flour Plum Pancakes
- 2/3 cup Bow and Arrow (Ute Mountain) blue cornmeal
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp Red Lake Nation maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 scant cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp Seka Hills olive oil (we used the Arbequina)
TOPPINGS (to taste)
- Fresh plums
- Pomegranate seeds
- Red Lake Nation maple syrup
- Add Bow and Arrow blue cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sea salt to a medium to large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Measure out coconut or almond milk in a large liquid measuring cup, then add Seka Hills olive oil, Red Lake Nation maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients a little at a time to the dry ingredients and gently, slowly stir until just combined. You may not use all of the liquid – you’re looking for a semi-thick batter (see photo). Small lumps are fine – try not to overmix. Let set for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your griddle or cast iron skillet over medium/medium-low heat. You want it warm but not screaming hot. Oil should not smoke when added to the pan.
- Once hot, drizzle the surface with Seka hills olive oil and use a paper towel to wipe away excess – you don’t want any pools of oil/butter. Then scoop scant 1/4 cup measurements onto the griddle or pan. Cook until bubbles appear and the sides are beginning to dry – about 3-4 minutes. Cook for another 2-4 more minutes on the other side.
Place pancakes on a large plate and keep warm in a 200 degree F (93 C) oven until ready for serving – you should have 6 pancakes total (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Top with a drizzle of warm Red Lake Nation maple syrup and fresh fruit. Store leftovers in an airtight container or bag in the fridge to keep fresh, or the freezer for longer term storage. Best when fresh.
*If subbing maple syrup, stir in with the wet ingredients. And you may need to reduce amount of almond milk added so the batter isn’t too thin. If subbing stevia start with a pinch and go from there.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 6 pancakes)
- Calories: 118
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Protein: 2g